Thursday, September 9, 2010

Introduction to living in Ghana

Studying abroad in Ghana has been a challenging but fulfilling experience.

I didn’t think that I had expectations before coming to Ghana. But within a few weeks, I realized that I had a deep seeded expectation, which was to feel a since of belonging and/or acceptance here. But unfortunately that hasn’t always been the case. Within the first month of being here, I’ve questioned my personal identity and realized many of my insecurities. Nevertheless, I am having an educational and influential experience and an opportunity to better understand my own cultural values and beliefs.

Ghanaian culture is exceptionally different from my cultural background, which has made it difficult for me to adjust to. There are so many dynamics and no clear reference points or comparisons to explain a lot of my experiences here, but I will try my best to explain them to you.

Coming to a developing third world country from a first world country with a first world mindset can be quite challenging. Visually, the development that I am accustomed to seeing in first world countries I have traveled to and in the U.S., is still apparent here in some areas, but for the most part it is underdeveloped. A lot of the roads are poorly paved if paved at all, there are not many sidewalks, most of the gutters are open, there are more markets than store fronts and more people selling products in the street then in stores, sanitation is low and there is wide spread poverty.

For the first few weeks I was here, I had a difficult time comprehending poverty as being a norm amongst so many people. And I have not even seen the worst of the living conditions here in Ghana or in other countries in Africa. Seeing poverty here brought to life some of the images I had only seen on TV. What I have learned from these experiences is that no matter what living condition one is living in, one can be happy. Poverty just happens to be a reality of many peoples’ lives.

On the other hand, for the first couple weeks I was here, it was difficult to comprehend how wealthy some people are here compared to how poor the higher majority of people are. Many Ghanaians and immigrants to Ghana are very wealthy, living similar lives and enjoying the luxuries of the rich and famous in the U.S. and around the world. There are many mansions in the capital city, Accra, and other major towns such as Kumasi. I saw a beautiful white Bentley driving through my college campus last week and a yellow Lamborghini a few weeks back outside of a night club I went to … not to forget the Mercedes Benz and BMWs I see on my college campus every day. Not quite what the U.S. media may show.

The rich seem to stay rich and the poor seem to stay poor. There is not yet an established middle class in Ghana, but it is growing.

From what I’ve learned in class and from some of the locals, the government is corrupt, which has put a damper on development.

Money is king here. And many people are hustling to get as much as possible to support themselves and their families.

No comments:

Post a Comment