Saturday, November 20, 2010

One big learning process

"Life is not about achievement, it's about learning and growth, and developing qualities like compassion, patience, perseverance, love, and joy, and so forth. And so if that is the case, then I think our goals should include something which stretches us." - Jack Canfield

Within the last few days, I’ve learned the attitude I should have when studying abroad, how to prepare for the experience and what it takes to enjoy living in another country. And honestly, I feel like I came unprepared and too closed minded into this experience. I am very accustomed to my home living environment and comforts, and being abroad if anything has really exposed that. I’ve never taken myself as an adventurous type or someone who likes to try new things. I’m quite social in most settings but very guarded and to myself in others. And my guarded attitude has really hindered my experiences while studying abroad.

Students considering studying abroad in the future, be aware that you may have to get out of your comfort zone and not hold on to the person you were back home. There’s nothing wrong with maintaining your morals and values while studying abroad, but if you are similar to me, you’ll really have to get out of your personal bubble. I've found the most joy here in Ghana when I have tried and experienced new things and really put forth effort to learn more about the local culture.

I have been blessed with an excellent opportunity to travel and get out and explore, so that’s what I plan to do during the rest of my time here.


Before leaving on my next journey, I’m going to set some goals, goals that stretch and help me get out of the shell that I have built around myself. Because without doing this, I’ll never really grow and experience all that life has to offer.

I’m excited and looking forward to my travels, adventures, learning experiences and personal growth and I’ll make sure I continue to share them with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment