Sunday, April 10, 2011

One month left of my last semester abroad

As I begin to reach the end of yet another semester abroad and possibly my last, I have begun to reminisce on all the great experiences and people I’ve met over the last 10+ months. It is sad to know that this may be my last time abroad in my life, but I am grateful for this opportunity and I am extremely thankful for everyone who has made this possible.

I have reached the point where I’m excited and anxious to return home. I miss my family, girlfriend and friends dearly. I have never been away from home for this long, so it will be nice to finally be home around my loved ones. I’m tired of communicating with people back home with messages on Facebook and email and talking on Skype, ooVoo and Google Talk. I am looking forward to some good ol’ face to face conversation. I miss my little brother a lot! The little guy is growing up fast without me. When I returned home in December for a few weeks, I was shocked to see how tall he had gotten and how much smarter he had become. I’m hoping to spend some quality time with him this summer, since I’m usually away from home since I go to school out-of-state. I am also looking forward to home-cooked meals. My mom always cooks a lot of my favorite meals when I return home from college for breaks, so I’m hoping that she’ll spoil me even more this time around.

I spoke with my academic advisor and department head a few days ago; I found out that I am projected to graduate in December 2011. As a first generation college student, having the opportunity to study abroad for three semesters, travel to 10 different countries and be looking forward to possibly being the first in my family to earn a bachelor’s degree at the end of this year is a blessing from above!

I am excited to return to USU in August. I’m hoping to have a fulfilling and eventful last semester of school. It will be nice to be reunited with all my friends again! I’m hoping that I haven’t forgotten anyone’s name, but I’m sure that’s inevitable! I have met a lot of people since being abroad and my memory isn’t the sharpest with names (better with faces). As far as weather is concerned, I am not too excited about having to experience a Logan winter again after spending a summer in Western Europe and Botswana and experiencing hot and humid weather in Ghana as well as the upcoming summer I will experience once I return home. Hopefully I’ll get out of Logan before it gets too cold. A parka, thermals, gloves, beanie and layering clothing can only do so much when the cold wind hits you!

After graduation, I am planning on continuing my education by pursuing a master’s degree. I will also apply for Teach For America and some internships and jobs. I have begun searching for grad schools in the U.S. that have M.B.A. (Master of Business Administration) programs and J.D./ M.B.A. programs (dual degree program- Juris Doctor degree and a Master of Business Administration degree).

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment